The History:

While the history of Edmonton Country Club goes back to the 19th century—a time when Queen Victoria ruled the British Empire—the current course has a direct connection to the land the club acquired in 1910.

The club obtained 426 acres of land described as “equally suitable for cricket, polo, tennis, bowling, and other kindred sports.” Those “other kindred sports” included golf and the initial course was created by L.G. White, an American golf professional, and opened over a century ago. Twenty years after the course opened, it was significantly altered with a new nine opening in 1936. 

Finally, in the late 1940s and only a few years before his death, the legendary Canadian designer Stanley Thompson was hired to make significant alterations to the course. His vision for Edmonton Country Club remains the overriding aesthetic for the course to this day. 

Click on either document to read more about the history of Edmonton Country Club.